This video goes into some of the main myths about bisexuals.
Here's what I think about a few of these:
1. Bisexuals are confused, they just don't know what they want?
Listen obviously people are going to say this because yes we like both men and women, but that doesn't mean that we don't know what we want. I love my husband but still find women attractive. I think that those individuals that are only attracted to the one sex can't understand this but hey I don't understand how men can be attracted to other men, doesn't mean I think they're confused.
2. Bisexuals are greedy?
The fact that this is even something that is said is just moronic. Plenty of straight people are greedy, they have multiple partners even while they are married. Just because an individual finds both sexes attractive does not make them edacious it makes them open to what everyone has to offer.
3. Bisexuals that are in relationships are not Bisexuals!
Sorry! I have been married going on 8 years and together with my husband going on 10 years, and I love him with all my heart however I still think women are beautiful. So I'm still Bisexual. I honestly believe that many people take the BI in bisexual literally, they seem to believe the bi means two at a time so if you're in a relationship with one sex than you are either Homosexual or Heterosexual depending on the gender.
4. Bisexuals are attracted to anything?
I think this myth was concocted by those individuals who are just full of themselves. Just because someone tells you "Hey guess what I'm Bisexual", doesn't mean that they have this sudden attraction for you and are gonna make a pass at you. Also as someone recently asked me, just because someone does not mean they will be attracted to children of the same sex, those are pedohiles and they are their own breed of monsters which has nothing to do with a person's sexual preference.
5. Bisexuality doesn't really exist?
This myth is perpetuated by those individuals that just can't accept what being bisexual entails, and really that is their problem. It exists, its real, there are people that feel this way and they are not going away.
In the end I don't think that these myths will ever go away. There will always be something that someone says about someone to change others perceptions because they themselves are uncomfortable with the person or group they are talking about. Being educated is the way to stop these myths from changing the way a group or community is viewed.
References:
1. Saint, S. (Dec 5, 2012) Bisexuality: Myths vs. Facts. Video posted to www.Youtube.com.
Interesting, I really had no idea about the depth of misunderstanding there was about bisexuality. Why do people care so much about the gender of who who choose to love? Shouldn't we be happy that people choose to love to begin with? I Thank you for exposing me to a subject I really knew nothing about and admittedly, I too was had assumed that bisexuals were more or less hyper-sexual beings who would lay down with anyone. That is totally unfair and I think I my opinion is beginning to evolve some through your help.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that I could change the way you think and see bisexuals. That's why I choose to have this as one of my post. A lot of people tend to go with what ever they hear instead of getting to know the group or individual. And sometimes the things they think are true about bisexuals can be said about straight, lesbians and or gays. So I'm happy that this blog helped you to realize something you never would have known before.
ReplyDeleteHow do your friends feel about you being bi-sexual? Do you openly tell your new friends that you are bi-sexual? Does your husband ever get jealous or insecure with the idea of you being physicaly attractive to other women? How would you feel if your husband was bi-sexual? You don't have to anwser these questions...These questions just came to mind when I was reading your blog and I was just curious lol!
ReplyDeleteNot at all, I don't mind answering that's what this is here for. My closets friends know and don't really care, they sometimes forget and if I say a girl is pretty or something like that they kind of are like "Oh yea, you swing that way too!", lol. I'm not the type of person that makes new friends easily, but if it were to come up it wouldn't really bother me to much to tell them. As for my husband I don't think he sees it any differently than if I was talking about a man, however I do feel more comfortable telling him when I find a woman attractive than if I were to find a man attractive, I think its because its something we have in common and can kind of discuss. I don't think it would bother me if he was bisexual, or at least I want to say that, I've actually never been faced with having a relationship with someone who is bisexual as well. Hope that helps with the curiosity. lol
ReplyDeleteGreat "myth busting" post:)
ReplyDelete